Urban Advantage at QBG
*For Urban Advantage teachers ONLY
Urban Advantage (UA) is a standards-based partnership program designed to improve students’ understanding of scientific inquiry through collaborations between urban public school systems and science cultural institutions such as zoos, botanical gardens, museums, and science centers. We believe that their extraordinary scientific and cultural resources convey a true “urban advantage.” Traditionally, these institutions have supported formal science education goals only indirectly. UA involves institutions outside the formal education system that support the science-specific goals of the public school system.
To learn more about Urban Advantage, CLICK HERE.
To Book: Follow the directions in the registration and payment section. Include your UA voucher number(s) on the online request form:
One UA voucher may be redeemed for one of the following programs for up to 30 students, with 3-4 chaperones per group.
One Outdoor Workshop
Led by a QBG instructor, these themed and seasonal workshops guide participants through an exploration of our garden exhibits. Each theme includes a culminating activity and take-home.
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Each theme includes a culminating activity and take-home.
- Offered Themes:
- Autumn Trees – make a collage (autumn only)
- Spring Trees – leaf rubbing craft (spring only)
- Animal Architecture – observe and create nests from found materials
- Plants We Eat – seed planting activity
- Making Scents – make dried-herb sachets
- Art in Garden – use natural materials to create a paintbrush and a work of art
One Guided Tour with Seed Planting Activity
Visit the Garden with a guide. Our permanent and seasonal collections showcase a variety of environmental, botanical, and cultural themes.
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Includes a culminating seed planting activity, led by your guide.
Two Self-Guided Tours with Seed Planting Kits and Discovery Guides
Explore Queens Botanical Garden at your own pace and investigate the specific exhibit areas that complement your needs and interests. Cost comes with 10 discovery field guides, pencils, crayons, and one QBG tote bag per group.
- Duration: As long as needed – at least 1 hour is recommended.
- Includes 30 discovery guides for the group
- Includes seed planting materials for the group
Two Virtual Workshops with Kit
Bring the wonders of the Garden to your group or classroom with our digital workshops! Our skilled and enthusiastic instructors guide students of all ages through real-world applications of environmental stewardship as they discover the relationship between flowers, insects and pollinators, and so much more.
- Duration: 45-60 minutes
- Includes a mailed post-tour kit
- Choose from the following workshop themes:
- Bugging Out: In this workshop we will use model-making to explore the characteristics and functions of insect bodies.
- Botany: In this workshop we’ll find science connections between the everyday world we live in, plants, and the diverse botanists that led our way.
- Fantastic Flowers: In this workshop we explore the relationships between pollinators and plants using our observation skills.
One Virtual Tour
Experience the wonders of Queens Botanical Garden from home in this live, interactive tour. Our knowledgeable instructors can answer your questions as they lead you through our curated gardens.
- Duration: 45 minutes
For questions related to Urban Advantage, please contact Marnie Rackmill at [email protected].