Request for Proposals
Queens Botanical Garden Seeks Temporary Financial Officer Services
Queens Botanical Garden, a non-profit organization located on NYC-owned land, seeks temporary financial services to bridge between the departure of its current Director of Finance & Administration from full-time status (for a fabulous, unexpected position!) as of October 1, 2021 and the hiring a new one. The current DF&A will be available to help with information on an approximately 7 hour per week (mostly weekend) basis. QBG is also seeking assistance in the hiring of a new Director of Finance & Administration and invites separate proposals for this scope of work.
The transition in QBG’s lead finance staff member is also occurring during a time of great change at QBG, as the 27-year Executive Director of the Garden will be retiring as of September 30. The search for the new Executive Director is proceeding well and it is expected that a new CEO will be in place by the end of the calendar year. An Interim Executive Director, from the current staff, will be named shortly.
Complete the FY21 audit
- Serve as point person with PKF O’Connor Davies
- Add remaining items (City capital and energy) when available (October)
- Review draft with Senior Staff and Finance Committee, probably just before Thanksgiving
- Prepare tax returns, if needed (some work for tax returns will already be done): see below*
Produce Financial Statements and Notes; present at board meetings
- October 19: Current DF&A will have financials through August ready; meet the board
- December 14 Annual Meeting: ideally, vote to approve the FY21 audit* (if ready)
- QBG uses FundEZ as it accounting software
Supervise/work with 2 staff (both accountants: 1 FT, 1 PT 28 hours/week)
- Review b-weekly payroll
- Keep Interim Executive Director informed of cash management needs
- Review quarterly sales tax filing (next due in December)
Review End of Month Items:
- Allocations for payroll, fringe, shared expenses
- Accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash receipts and deposits
- Credit card allocations
- Bank reconciliations.
Assist Interim Director and Director of Development in grant management/allocations/reporting.
Provide Senior Staff with financial information on a regular basis.
QBG anticipates that this work will take approximately 2 days per week, perhaps with more time up front, and/or as varies during the month.
To apply, please send your proposals and 3 references with contact information to:
718-886-3800 x 205.
If your firm is also capable of assisting with the Search for a new Director of Finance & Administration please send a separate proposal for such services.
Photo Credit: Jess Brey