“People, Plants, Cultures” Photo Contest
May 1 through July 31
Celebrate spring and dip into summer by submitting your beautiful photos taken at Queens Botanical Garden from May 1 through July 31, 2019 for a chance to win:
ONE (1) year of FREE FAMILY-LEVEL MEMBERSHIP at the Garden
~ AND ~
SIX (6) festival admission tickets to HARVEST FEST on Sunday, October 13, 2019
(up to $72 value, transferable to family and friends)
The winning photo pays homage to the Garden’s tagline, “where people, plants, and cultures meet.”
The winning photographer—amateur or professional—will capture the spirit of the Garden, a place where all walks of life come together in nature, in bustling Flushing, Queens.
Think flora, fauna, families, fun!
More about Family-Level Membership at QBG:
An $85 value, Family-Level Membership gets you year-round admission for two adults and all children in your household—and yes, that includes admission to our biggest events and festivals, including TULIP TIME!, Taiwan: A World of Orchids, Harvest Fest, Arbor Fest, and more! Family-Level Members also receive discounts on our kids programs, such as Garden Buds, Children’s Garden, and Junior Naturalists, parking passes, 10% off at our gift shop, and more!
More about QBG’s Harvest Fest:
Harvest Fest is QBG’s largest event of the year. Taking place annually in October, it features live music, bounce houses, petting zoo, face painting, tours, composting demonstrations, craft and food vendors,* beer & wine tent,* the ever-popular Pumpkin Patch,* and more. As the winner of our “People, Plants, Cultures” photo contest, you will receive six festival admission tickets to this fun festival, to share with friends and family! (*additional fee applies)
Only photos taken and submitted through the online submission form between 12:00am on May 1, 2019 and 11:59pm on July 31, 2019 will be considered.
The Contest is open to all professional and amateur photographers who are 18 years of age and older. Prior Photo Contest Winners, QBG Employees, Consultants, Contractors, Trustees, and Advisory Council Members, are not eligible to enter. Only photos taken at Queens Botanical Garden during the entry period will be considered.
Click the “ENTER” button below to be redirected to an online form to be filled out. Each participant may submit up to three (3) photos. Clear and high-resolution photos are preferred, but must not exceed 7MB in file size. Submitted photos must be taken at Queens Botanical Garden between May 1, 2019 and July 31, 2019. By submitting photos, you are guaranteeing that they were taken by you personally and that you agree to the Terms and Conditions outlined on the photo contest submission page and form.
The winner will be notified by Monday, August 19, 2019 and announced soon thereafter to the public on QBG’s website, social media, e-newsletter, and other channels of communication.
In taking photography at the Garden, you agree to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Only hand-held cell phone, point-and-shoot, and DSLR cameras are allowed. No additional photography equipment, set-up, or props such as monopods, tripods, strobes, soft boxes, light rings, reflectors, lighting umbrellas, etc.
- No photoshoots are allowed unless a photo permit has been booked or pre-arranged with staff. Photoshoots without permits are strictly prohibited in the Garden. To obtain a photo permit, visit www.queensbotanical.org/photoshoots. Use of equipment listed above and excessive posing with professional cameras may be deemed a photoshoot and you may be approached by Garden security or visitor services staff to cease activity.
- Take and/or submit photos in which you do not prominently display the likeness of individuals who are not a part of your party and whose permission you do not have to distribute their likeness.
- Please help ensure the enjoyment and the safety of all our guests and the care of our collections by following our general etiquette rules listed here: queensbotanical.org/etiquette.
In submitting photography to enter the Photo Contest, you grant Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) a royalty-free, non-exclusive right to:
- display and use your photograph(s) in support of our mission to raise awareness of, and support for, the Garden and the photo contest;
- use your photograph(s) in QBG’s internal and external communications materials, including, but not limited to, websites and web publications, e-newsletters, social media, fact sheets, digital, print, and broadcast advertising, presentations, art gallery exhibits, member newsletters, annual reports, and traveling photo exhibits that promote QBG at off-site locations, including businesses, community centers, or offices of government officials, etc.;
- use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name and submitted caption in promotions;
- and retain a digital copy of your photograph(s) that will be archived in QBG’s photo library archive for promotional use in perpetuity.
- Tell a story with a colorful caption. A picture is worth a thousand words, but so is your caption! Just don’t literally submit a thousand words (that’s just too much!).
- Everything is photogenic! Think of the Garden’s mission to celebrate people, plants, and cultures—all beautiful things just waiting to be captured.
- Please be mindful! Please submit photos in which you do not prominently display the likeness of individuals who are not a part of your party and whose permission you do not have to distribute their likeness.
- Make a day of it! You’d be capturing photo-worthy moments anyway while enjoying some of our exciting upcoming events:
- TULIP TIME! on Sunday, May 5 – Crafts, tours, Music in the Garden, and THOUSANDS of tulips
- TWIST & SPROUT! on Sunday, June 9 – A family-friendly FREE event—all about healthy eating and outdoor exercise!
- For more exciting programs and events, please visit our online calendar: queensbotanical.org/calendar
- Show off your submitted photos by also sharing them on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) with the hashtag #qbgphotocontest and tag the location as Queens Botanical Garden (Flushing, Queens, baby!). Please keep in mind, however, only photos submitted on the QBG photo contest submission page will be considered as entries. Sharing your photos on social media does not qualify as entry to the contest.
- Like and follow Queens Botanical Garden on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter (or all three, if you wish!) to stay tuned on all things QBG and to find out more about the winning photo!
Cover Photo: Submitted by Steven Wong of Whitestone, Queens, NY, the winning photo of our 2018 contest is of Steven’s daughter taking in the scent of a beautiful red rose on her first visit to Queens Botanical Garden.
See below for some of our favorite entries from our 2018 Photo Contest!