Queens Botanical Garden’s Kids Programs bring together youngsters from around New York City to enjoy seasonal, hands-on learning and gardening experiences year-round. Through exploration, nature study, and craft activities, we explore concepts of gardening and environmental stewardship at age-appropriate levels within each program.
For information, contact [email protected] or 718.886.3800, ext. 218.
Fall Garden Buds
Ages 2 & 3
Child + Adult
Session II registration now OPEN!
Explore the wonder of nature together, through hands-on work and play in the garden. Harvest produce, create botanical crafts, share stories and songs, and help put the garden to sleep for winter.
Registration includes one child and a participating adult.
Four weekly, one-hour sessions
Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays
9:30am or 11am (10am only on Fridays)
Nov 4, 11, & 18, Dec 2
Nov 5, 12, & 19, Dec 3
Nov 6, 13, & 20, Dec 4
$135 Non-Member / $122 Family-Level+ Member
Programs pause the week of Thanksgiving on 11/25-27.
Fall Children’s Garden
Registration for the fall session is now CLOSED. Check back in 2023 for more information on our spring season!
From seed to table, our young gardeners grow and harvest vegetables, put the garden to sleep for the winter, and explore their interconnected ecosystems.
This program is drop-off only.
The Children’s Garden is sponsored by HSBC Bank.
Health and Safety for On-Site Children’s Programs
- Face masks required for program participants and staff
- We will practice 3-6 foot social distancing between students, staff, and the public whenever possible.
- Upon checking in, you will be asked whether or not you have COVID symptoms and a normal temperature.
Before you leave your house, please ask yourselves the following three questions. If you answer yes to any of these questions, please stay home.
- Are you currently experiencing, or recently experienced (in the last 48 hours), any new or worsening COVID-19 symptoms?
- Have you had close contact (being within 6 feet for at least 10 minutes over a 24-hour period) in the past 10 days with any person confirmed by diagnostic test, or suspected based on symptoms, to have COVID-19? (If fully vaccinated (more than 2 weeks past your first shot of a single dose series, or more than 2 weeks past your second shot of a double dose series) then this does not apply unless you are exhibiting symptoms.)
- Have you tested positive through a diagnostic test for COVID-19 in the past 10 days?
What to Bring:
- Water bottle
- A breathable mask for you and your child. Please pack 1-2 extras.
- Seasonal and weather-appropriate clothing: raincoat/poncho, rain boots, sweater/jacket, gloves, hat, etc.
- Seasonally appropriate shoes that will stay attached to your feet and can withstand getting muddy.
- Hand warmers
- Sunscreen, or long-sleeved clothing with SPF protection.
In keeping with CDC guidelines, the following measures will be implemented onsite. We will continue to monitor and update parents with any changes based on changing CDC guidelines.
- For programming, students are required to stay on our 39-acre property while all classes take place outdoors.
- Masks are required for staff and children throughout the entire program. Mask breaks can occur when more than 6 feet away from others.
- Programs will have no more than 18 total people per section, including students, staff and volunteers.
- Groups will not intermingle with other groups.
- Any food or drink breaks will be 6 ft apart between participants, staff, and public.
- Staff and volunteers will ensure students are socially distant during water breaks.
- There will be very limited shared materials. Anything that is shared will be wiped down before sharing, and/or children’s hands will get sanitized before and after usage of items.
- Before the beginning of each program, staff will use sanitizing wipes or spray to wipe down benches, tables, surfaces, and materials touched and used.
- Staff will aim to maintain a 3-6 foot distance from each other and students whenever possible.
- Programs will be conducted entirely outdoors, including during light rain.
- If weather is too inclement to host class, families will be notified and class’s will be held on Zoom.
- There will not be a designated time for restrooms, as we ask you to take your child prior to class start time at the Visitor & Administration Building.
- Staff and students are required to stay home if they or anyone in their household or that they’ve been exposed to for prolonged periods exhibits COVID-19 symptoms and/or tests positive for COVID-19.
- CDC list of when to quarantine
- There will not be make-up classes for COVID absences. If the whole class is canceled due to exposure, we will hold the class remotely, where possible.
- Families will be notified immediately if someone in their group tests positive.
- Families will be contacted via email and asked to confirm receipt of email; follow up calls will be made, if necessary.
- If a student becomes ill with COVID-19 symptoms during the day, a staff member will quarantine the student away from the group and notify a parent/guardian for pickup. We will follow the most current CDC guidelines on when that child and others can come back to class.
Please email [email protected] for additional questions, scholarship information, or to be added to our email list and newsletter!